- A Look Back and A Look Forward
A look back at some of the key legal issues that impacted associations in 2016 and advice for 2017.
- Choosing the Right Liability Insurance
Evaluate and select the right insurance for your association’s needs using three basic steps.
- Legal Consideration for Organization's Name Change
Essential steps to ensuring an organization’s smooth and successful name transition.
- Legal Glossary
Understand the application and importance of frequent legal terms used in association governing documents, contracts and litigation matters.
- Defamation Law: Just the Facts
Understand how defamation law strikes a balance between distributing information and ideas and protecting people and organizations from harm caused by untrue statements.
- What to Consider in Establishing an Ethical Code
Understanding the difference between an ethical code and an ethical guide.
- Understanding the Role of Registered Agents
Understand the duties and obligations of a corporation’s registered agent and their importance under state law.
- Should Associations Allow Members to Retain Their Legal Counsel?
While access to the expertise of the association’s counsel may be a key benefit of membership, members must understand that the association’s lawyer is just that, and does not represent any individual member.
- Don't Take Chances with Raffles and Giveaways
Become familiar with the numerous laws that govern whether and how an organization may conduct raffles, promotional giveaways and contests.
- Legal Tips for the New Year
At the end of each year, take the time to review tax, corporate governance, intellectual property and records retention issues in your organization to ensure a good year to come.
- Minimizing Liability from Association-Sponsored Online Communities
- Member's Rights to Access Information
Before sharing information, make sure you know what the law in your organization’s state of incorporation requires and what your organization’s corporate governance and policies allow.
- Who's Calling Please?
Inform and prepare association staff for the proper way to deal with association inquiries over the phone.
- The Revised Illinois Not-For-Profit Corporation Act: What You Need to Know
How to prepare for, implement and take advantage of recent changes to the Illinois Not-For-Profit Corporation Act.
- Legal Issues Review
Review and planning around a few important legal issues can help you minimize potential legal exposure.