- Employee Use of Personal Social Media to Discuss Workplace Issues: What Are the Rules?
Understand the basic rules regarding employees' use of personal social media accounts to discuss workplace issues and guidance as to what associations can do to control these discussions.
- New DOL Action on Overtime Pay and Independent Contractors
New U.S. Department of Labor proposed rules for overtime pay and guidance on classifying independent contractors will have significant consequences for non-profit employers.
- Impact of Concealed-Carry Law on Employers
Take steps now to establish procedures for visitors and employees under new Illinois legislation allowing the public possession of concealed handguns.
- Employment Contract Considerations
Successfully navigate the challenges of negotiating an employment contract that provides appropriate protection for both the employer and the chief staff officer.
- Verifying Aliens: It's Not Science Fiction - It's the Law
Employers must verify the employment and immigration status of all new hires. Understand what U.S. immigration laws require.
- Qualifications of an Unpaid Internship
Learn the considerations for creating an unpaid internship program that passes legal muster.
- Independent Contractor or Employee?
Learn how to apply the three principal tests for determining whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee.
- Employee Classification: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt
Understand whether employees should be classified as exempt or non-exempt.
- Prepare Your Workplace for H1N1 Flu
Develop a plan of action to implement before a major illness hits your office.
- Guard Against Unfair, Disparate Impact
A Supreme Court decision reminds employers to exercise care to assure that tests designed to be valid and fair do not unintentionally produce an unfair, disparate impact.